Anyone that knows me as a photographer knows I have been Peak Design from its early days when all they offered was the awesome Peak Design clip, which my wife bought be as a present after I commented on an ad I saw in the Outdoor Photography magazine many years ago, back when I had time to do things like read magazines!
They just released a new backpack on Kickstarter that I am very excited about because it is specifically designed for travel, exactly what all us travel photographer need. I am going to be getting an early model for testing and review soon so I will provide a full review at that time, but in the meantime, check out the awesome features of the new 45L Peak Design Travel Backpack and complete system of packing tools.
With a focus on versatility, organization, and access, the Travel Line aims to satisfy a simple design directive: no two trips are the same, so the best luggage should adapt to them all. This is what I am so excited about for this bag. I currently have half a dozen backpacks that I actively rotate based upon the type of travel I am doing. That is not a practical solution for most of my readers, who are limited to purchasing one camera bag. This new bag from Peak Design will hopefully be adjustable to fit the needs of any type of travel so only one bag is needed. I also love the ability to modify it from my luggage to get to a location to my active camera backpack once I am on location and have ditched my clothes and such at the hotel.
The main part of Peak Design’s Travel Line is the Travel Backpack 45L, a carry-on-sized backpack that boasts a collection travel functionality. In addition to full rear access for easy packing, the bag features dual side access, top access to laptop/tablet, and a dedicated front-access organization panel for smaller items.
Beefy shoulder and waist straps stow instantly beneath a magnetically sealed back pad. Expansion zips allow the bag to grow to 45L check-in size, while an innovative compression snap system shrinks the bag down to a 35L daypack. Thoughtful details include 360-degree grab handles, a duffle/luggage carry handle, theft-deterrent zips, hidden passport pockets, a soft-lined sunglasses pocket and tuck-away external carry compression straps. The Travel Backpack comes with a weatherproof 400D nylon canvas shell made from 100% recycled plastics and available in black or sage colorways
Accompanying the Travel Backpack is a feature-rich system of Packing Tools that provide endlessly customizable organization and protection of clothes, shoes, toiletries, tech items and photo/video gear. Designed to fit perfectly in Peak Design travel bags, each cube or pouch offers easy access, thoughtful organization, durable materials and a consistent aesthetic cleanliness.
Each Packing Tool was designed from the onset as a standalone product, intended to push their respective category forward with unique patterns, features and innovation. Art Viger, Lead Designer at Peak Design, commented on the system: “When you travel, the things you carry become your home on the road. Each and every one of the pouches and cubes are designed to work as a fluid ecosystem that can be easily re-configured for any type of trip.” The new Travel Backpack (MSRP: $299.95) and Packing Cubes, will be available on Kickstarter (peakdesign.com/ks) for a pre-sale discount beginning July 23, 2018. The system will then be available for purchase online at peakdesign.com and through major retailers in time for the 2018 holiday season.
Below you can see a list of all the features as released by Peak Design. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer for you once I get my hands on the bag.
45L Travel Backpack MSRP: $299.95 Available on Kickstarter for a Limited Time: $235
● Full back panel-load access for packing
● Dual zippered side hatches for instant camera access
● Quick tablet & laptop access
● Dedicated front organization panel
● Soft-lined sunglasses pocket
● Hidden passport/document pockets
● Bag sits upright on floor when packed or empty
Expansion & Compression
● Maximum international carry on size in normal 35L state
● Expansion zip gives additional 10L of storage (45L max)
● Compressible down to 30L day bag size
● Expandable side pockets for water bottles, tripods
● Tuck-away external carry compression straps
● Rigidly supported sidewalls for easy packing
● Zippered dividing panel separates bag into 2 compartments, or stows away for 1 large volume
● Front organization panel contains 4 zippered mesh pockets for smaller items
● Mount Camera Cubes (sold separately) internally for back or side access to photo, drone, or video gear
● Protected luggage tag holder
Comfort & Portability
● Magnetic strap storage system
● 360-degree grab handles
● Full-size padded hip belt with additional pockets and attachment points for Capture & Range Pouch (sold separately)
● Axial strap attachments for shoulder & hip straps give constant comfort for all body types and carry loads
● Proprietary sternum strap
● Luggage pass-through and duffel grab handle
● Back panel folds under for increased ventilation & comfort Security
● 400D weatherproof 100% recycled nylon canvas shell
● DWR impregnated, PU-coated interior for water resistance
● Oversized #8 (front, side) and #10 (back) main zips are weatherproof and lockable
● Rugged 900D weatherproof bottom liner
● Ultralight padded foam provides security, structure, and aesthetic cleanliness around entire bag
Packing Cubes (sold separately):
Packing Cubes (MSRP: Sm – $29.95, Md – $39.95) – Compressible, easy to access, and dividable, Peak Design Packing Cubes are available in 2 sizes. A tear-away main zip lets you access contents instantly, and an internal divider allows separation of clean and dirty clothes. An expansion/compression zip doubles available space or compresses clothes so you can fit more in your bag.
Wash Pouch (MSRP: $59.95) – Dedicated, easy-to-clean pockets for toothbrush and razor. Hangs or sits upright on sink for easy access in tight spaces. Unique folding pocket layout keeps toiletries neatly organized and easy to find.
Tech Pouch (MSRP: $59.95) – Designed to store small items like cables, cards, batteries, and travel essentials, Tech Pouch’s unique origami-style pockets create enormous spatial efficiency. Pack more into a smaller space, yet keep all items organized and easy to find.
Camera Cubes (MSRP: Sm – $49.95, Md – $69.95, Lg – $89.95) – Camera Cubes provide protection, organization, and instant access to camera, video, and drone gear. Securely mount Camera Cubes inside the Travel Backpack and access your gear via the rear or side zips. Tuck-away lids let you access camera gear from outside of the bag via a single zip, while a system of intelligently designed dividers allows for endless organization and customization.
Shoe Pouch (MSRP: $24.95) – An ultralight, durable, weatherproof pouch for shoes or additional clothing storage.
Rain Fly (MSRP: $29.95) – Provides complete waterproof protection to an already weatherproof bag. Rain Fly is made of durable, ultralight 200D rip-stop nylon, adjusts via cinch cord for snug form-fit, and stuffs into a convenient storage pocket.